Exploding Moment

They were so young, Tommy was 5 and Zoey was almost 4. As we tried to round them up to sit on the couch, they finally come running, full of energy. Bouncing and jumping around, we finally get them somewhat calm and settled.

“We have something to tell you” we started. Still fidgeting, and hopping in their seats, we continue. Looking into their big blue eyes, we tell them how much we love them, but, “We can not be together any longer.”  Their eyes filled with sadness as tears rolled down their cheeks. Looking at these little faces made me question if I was doing the right thing. I know it is definitely the right thing for me, but what about them?  Was this fair for them, or was I just being selfish?

Watching them as them as they we watching us, the sadness still in their eyes, tears still rolling down their innocent faces, they were like little statues sitting so still.  Thinking to myself, “I have to do something to turn this around, change this to something positive.” My heart was racing, my head spinning. What can I say to make this okay for them?

Thinking about the holidays, how different they were going to be, I decide to start there.  “Just think of  how many more presents you will get for your birthdays, or Christmas.” Not that is was a consolation prize,  but it was the first thing that came to my mind. “You will both spend time with Daddy and his family, and then also spend time with me and my family, which means double the presents and double the attention. Also, two birthdays will be great.  Double the cake and ice cream, what’s better than that?”

1 thought on “Exploding Moment

1. Nicely done! Compare this one to the full memoir to see how much more developed this is, so reader can really see what’s happening. A visual detail or two of room and/or kids might be nice to add as well. I’m not sure if you’re thinking about putting this in (or part of it) final draft–depends on focus and pacing.